Friday, January 17, 2014

Homeschool Weekly Recap (Week 2 Winter Term)

This week was a slow week. We kept up with the basics but pretty much did a lot of reading fun besides doing our history and science. Hey...it's the luxury of homeschool.  We are kind of focusing on snowy, winter, and nature theme books.

 
 I thought I'd share some of the great reads we have been enjoying. Some of these are super and some are okay.  I will share the Title and the Author's last name. I found all these at our local library. But I am sure you can check out the book on amazon to make sure it is something you would like to read to the kids.


Our Winter Books (January)

The Snow Angel (Boone)  *Excellent*
Snow Ponies-Cockcroft
Dream Snow-Carle
The Biggest, Best Snowman-Cuyler *Excellent*
The Three Snow Bears-Bret *Cute*
Akiak-Blake
Here Comes Jack Frost-Kohara *Cute*
The Snowman Storybook-Briggs *Cute*

We are also doing a lot of Aesop Fables and Winter Nature reads. Our Read Aloud is The Snow Queen.  I am not sure if we will continue this. We may replace it.  I have my reasons.

What is going on in the upcoming weeks:

Planning, Prepping, and Learning about the Chinese New Year.  Our homeschool group is doing a project night on Special Days, Holy Days, and Holidays. My kids were interested in this so we are going to be working on it.

I plan to do a Winter Unit Study with the younger ones. I already got some great books for this. I am excited to get started. Just not excited for all the printing. UGH!

I am beginning my research for next year's curriculum and trying to become more knowledgeable about how to do HIGH SCHOOL!  AHHHHHH!!!

Our field trip this week is on Saturday. There is a nature center close by and they are hosting a Educational Winter Bird Class. So, we are going to that tomorrow. I am looking forward to it. I am a lover of birds. My kids love them too. My mother instilled them a love for birds when they were young and so we all have a natural heartbeat for these creatures.

Matter fact most of our home has a form of bird in it somewhere as well as my mom. My mom is a owl lover and I am a sucker for any little decorative piece with a bird on it. I love sparrows, cardinals, owls, and hummingbirds.

Lastly, I would like to share a great read that encouraged me as a homeschool mama. You should check it out here.


Blessings,
Chrissy





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.