Saturday, March 28, 2015

Learning to be Frugal

 
Excited to write my first new post here on frugalality. Frugal can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I believe it's simply making wise, thrifty, economical choices that create good stewardship and habits! Not to mention save you some dollars!

I have lived with different budgets over the years and have learned to be content in all levels. My husband is a full time Pastor but drives a school bus in the School year to pay taxes for our ministry income. We live on a budget which can range from 35,000 to 45,000 yearly with a family of 5. We also are mainly debt free. We have no mortgage or car payments. We do rent due to ministry because of lack of sales of decent home when we moved to the area 3 years ago for my hubs to Pastor.





A couple things I'd suggest when deciding to tighten the pocket book is to pray, read, research, make a budget, know your expenses and learn to be thrifty to pay off debt and build a savings. There umpteen million sites,pinterest, books, shows, and such with so many tips. I'm just another boring mama sharing my ideas that I learn or create!


After researching about becoming more thrifty I realize I lack some skills that can come in handy to cut more expenses.

Knowing some of things below I believe can really contribute to having a success in Prudent Living.

Sewing
Gardening
Food Preservation
Bulk shopping
Crafting with things you own
Thrift shopping (good wills, yard sales, consignments)
Knowing local farmers
Learning a talent to trade or barter
Building stock piles (with or without coupons) I do not COUPON
Knowing your stores and sales to get bang for your buck
Learn to do without and be creative with items you have on hand
Menu planning
Knowing how to cut utility costs
Cooking from scratch
Making homemade and reusable daily items


I could go on and on. I plan to learn, and expand on these things above to better our finances and home life.

Please share your thoughts....


 
 

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to your posts as I can always learn more on being frugal! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.