Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Produce List and Stocking Up Savings

There is tons of articles on when to buy things at rock bottom prices. As well as a list of when its the best time to snag produce for those that don't have a garden or a food storage yet. We plan to garden this year, but we are going to the Solomon Islands in July for mission work and so we will keep our garden very basic due to us not being able to care for it and it might be neglected so I don't want to waste money and time in a large garden that may ruin before our return. 

                                         (Creation Museum Gardens 2014)


We love fruit and veggies.  I usually shop at a place called Aldi's that has great prices and when they are in season the prices are even rock bottom awesome. I will stock up and freeze a lot of them such as berries, chopped onions, and bell peppers.

Here is a Produce List for April (US)

Asparagus
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Butter Lettuce
Cabbage
Carrots
Chives
Collards
dill
grapefruit
navel oranges
pineapple
radish
spinach
onions
strawberries

Also Baking items are rock bottom prices in April.
Hams are good to stock up on in April!  I plan to make Ham Broth this month. I love how you can stretch a ham.  From broth, breakfast, casseroles, and flavoring beans, ham is so versatile.

Share ways you stock up on produce!

Blessings,
Chrissy

3 comments:

  1. I grew up having fresh produce from our garden and then in the winters, we ate things my mom had canned from the garden. I miss that! My parents grew so much produce that they would have enough to can and give away - it was a football-sized field garden and then they also had a strawberry patch that was further down and that was large too. When I left to go into the military, I didn't even know how to buy produce LOL! We ate what we could grow, so there was a lot that I had never seen or tried. Lots of learning for me!! ;-)

    I want to eat more vegetables and at times I'm good at it and then go back to my old habits. Once we move closer to my family, they plan on giving us monthly food boxes full of fresh produce in the summer and I look forward to that! Also, helping my mom can in the fall. I've heard of Aldi's but we don't have one out here in WA but I think they will probably have one in Ohio.

    Here is what I buy fresh and frozen:

    Fresh - roma tomatoes, avocados, romaine lettuce, kale, carrots, green/red peppers, portabello mushrooms, onions, garlic, bananas, apples, mandarin oranges, strawberries and blueberries

    Frozen - spinach, broccoli, peas, mixed vegetables, green beans, berries

    Other than that, we aren't too adventurous in our fruits/veggies - pretty much the same thing all the time. I love spring/summer when we can buy the fresh berries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in Australia we are fortunate to be able to grow our fruit and vegetables year round as it doesn't snow here apart from in a couple of places. We do preserve veggies like cucumbers when we have excess but now that I have given up sugar I will look at other ways of preserving. We do have an assortment of berries growing as well which we freeze.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.