Friday, January 1, 2016

Frugal and Thrifty Friday (Week 1)

This week I was very intentional about not going anywhere I didn't have to. I actually only left my home one time this week. YES.....FOR REAL! I saved on gas that is for sure. But I also saved on spending money on things not necessary.  I have NOT gained that control of not putting things in my cart because it seems like a good deal.  *Smiles*

                                           Refilling my Wall Plug In Air freshner!

I literally made do with what was in our pantry which wasn't much but we ate and we ate good. I got creative and watched how to do a homemade pizza and I made from scratch pancakes. I know some of you probably think that is no biggie but I purchase prepackaged things so this was a BIG deal for us. I didn't have tomato sauce but I had BBQ so I made a BBQ Cheese Pizza. It was a hit and so good.

I also refilled my air freshener plug in's with essential oils instead. There is a nice scent of peppermint in my kitchen. It is VERY light but it gives it a clean smell.



Several years ago my husband bought dog groomer clippers to learn how to groom our Maltipoo and he never did and so I always had her groomed a couple times a year. But it is $40 a pop. She was in need of grooming and I decided to watch a you tube video on how to groom a Malitpoo.  I took notes and everything. Then I went to work and she is fresh, clean, and she turned out pretty good for my first time shaving her. She had lots of knots so I had to really shave her short. But now I am putting it on our calendar to groom her often to keep that from happening.



I am reusing condiment jars for future pantry storage. Usually I throw these away......*GASP*!  I got a free online class about growing tomatoes. I am looking forward to taking that. I also got a HUGE jar of honey from a church friend with some Lavender Essential Oil as well as Magneisum Spray for some health boosters.

Plans for NEXT WEEK.....

1. Make a menu and list.
2. Shop for that list.
3. Set up my free online bill pay through my bank.
4. Plan a Pantry Stocking Master List.
5. Buy $20 (Pantry Items) I am allowing myself $10 weekly for stocking and so I will do this at once.
6. Aim to only go to the store no more than TWICE during our biweekly pay period.
7. Continue to research, read, and learn thrifty living.
8. Practice Scratch Cooking Daily!

I know this seems long. But most of this can all be done in a day or two. Especially Number 1, 2, 5.

Share any tips you have or things you have done to save some money or learn some thriftiness. Also....always share blessings. This past week we got a random $50 check from a friend. That my friend will stock my pantry building list.

Blessings and Happy New Year!!!!



10 comments:

  1. I think your list is realistic, I'm sure you can do it!
    Our credit union started offering free online bill pay and it is wonderful! It saves time, mistakes and so much money on stamps and buying checks.
    You'll get the scratch cooking thing figured out, you sound smart and willing, and that's all it takes. I'm 58 and have been daily cooking since I was 14 or so, and I still make a cooking mistake every so often. So don't be discouraged if something doesn't turn out good. Meals come along 3 times a day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Rhonda,

      Thank you so much for your encouragement!!!!!! I need it!!!! Thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  2. Cooking more from scratch is on my list for this year. I should now have the time so I will have to push myself to just get in there and get it done!

    Yay for the blessing of money! I love keeping a well stocked pantry. It has certainly helped us on those lean weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! We will have to share our cooking experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful list, both in what you've done and what you've planned! May God grant you wisdom and creativity in your endeavors. You will be a real helpmeet to your husband.

    God bless you dear lady! Oh, and thank you for sharing the link to Laine's Letters. I read them for years and had lost the link. She is a dear lady. I'll have to reread some of her old letters.

    Happy New Year!
    Blessings,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend! I love Laine. I felt she was a kindred spirit when I read them.

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year, Chrissy. My, my you are starting the year off well. I hope it is a wonderful year for you and that your health improves a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! You tube is wonderful! Pancakes are so good. Once you have made them once you are set. Same with pizza! I make a big jug of pancake mix. It is ok to use up some today and some tomorrow just cover it with wrap and in the fridge. The girls liked little ones cold in lunch boxes. You can use thin pancakes instead of lasagne sheets...
    Also big kids can stand and cook a dozen each as in the fridge cooked they are handy and can be re heated too. I use some up by filling them with mornay, rolling up and covering with grated cheese then baking. This is yum!
    I love all you did. Well done! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the idea of filling them with things. This for visiting.

      Delete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.