Friday, January 8, 2016

Frugal & Thrifty Friday (Week 2)

Hello friends,

I hope you are all well. This week I saved a lot of money because I didn't spend much. This was a very tight week. I did grocery shop on Saturday and got a few items for the week. I was limited. I had to be very creative. We are learning to skip things we would usually give in and go get. We made a family agreement to not eat out AT ALL the whole month. Honestly, with our current budget this will probably go a little longer.

I am getting in the kitchen and being creative as I can. I am practicing from scratch recipes. I have made several meatless dinners this week. I made a yummy fried potato meal with cheese and broccoli. I made 2 homemade pizzas. When I ran out of cheese I found a nacho cheese jar in the cabinet (not healthy but it was a great sub) and lathered it on the pizza. This was a hit.



~I took 1lb of ground beef and stretched it for 3 meals. YES!!! THREE meals!  I added a filler by adding black beans. I browned a pound of ground beef and added rinsed black beans. I used a portion for burrito's.  The next for a pizza topping and the remainder for Taco Soup.  We are a family of 5. with a teenager who eats like a man!!!!

~I made chocolate chip cookies from scratch and they were delicious. It has been a long time since I did this. I also made my own pizza sauce from scratch no recipe and it was AMAZING.

~I have been fluffing the home with small homemade Valentine Décor. I took wooden blocks I already owned that spell joy and peace (they are Christmas Décor) and I turned them to hide the writing and using chalk I spelled love. You can't tell. They look so neat and homespun!





~I was blessed with a surprise money gift.  It wasn't huge but it exactly what we needed and so I will use this to buy gas and to set $10 back for pantry stockpiling.  I am noticing very quickly the importance of a stocked pantry when you are planning to cook from scratch.

~I am saving all my jars when we are done with condiments and such.  I plan to make up some mixes, seasonings, and spices.

~I did an olive oil treatment on my hair. My hair was in a bad need of deep conditioning. I have waist length hair. Usually I buy a deep condition treatment or have it done in the salon a couple times a year. My hair is shiny after the Olive oil treatment. It was just Olive Oil.

~I had a fever blister come up and I usually have medication that is very costly for it. But I was not willing to go buy a $20 tube. I researched and one of my friends trained in Essential Oils suggested Tea Tree Oil (which I have on hand) will heal a fever blister. It worked so fast and it was a miracle it dried up almost all the way in one night.

~My doggie has an ear infection and once again it was not a time we could run to the vet. I have watched videos and researched on Vet Sites and I have made a natural ear cleaner and antibiotic for her. Praise the Lord. I saved $100.

I used alcohol, vinegar, olive oil (I had all these on hand) for her ears. We are still treating this I will let you know how it really works.

~I purchased a book as an investment because I needed a good hands on book with tips and recipes for scratch cooking, preparing mixes, homemade products, and such. I am excited to read this.  I have followed the author's blog (Check Side Bar~ Little House Living) for a long time. She is an inspiration.



Overall this has been a hard week but good week. Hard because my husband and I finally got on the same page with budgeting (yay) but we had to see on paper our debt, bills, and income. This was a little hard to swallow. I will be honest I am going to have to be creative. It has been good because I can breathe knowing we know what we have and what we don't and I am hopeful we can get through this.

How was your week in the frugal area?  Any tips or ideas you would like to share?

Blessings,

Chrissy T



12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful money saving week you have had!!! Blessings to you and your new budget! When husband and wife are on the same team, miracles do happen and God will give wisdom for creativity and resourcefulness. Have a lovely homemade weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Jes!!!! I agree so much that God I believe now will have dominion over our finances like He should have a long time ago. Blessing to you!!!

      Delete
  2. Chrissy, I know you and your hubby can do it! I also know that it is hard. Very hard. We are in the same boat. A lowered income plus a large amount of medical debt has really put the squeeze on us. As tough as it is I do feel like we going to thrive! I do find it fun to get in the kitchen and be creative. I made homemade noodles recently and my family raved about them. Megan has already asked if we could have them again. :)

    Those blocks are adorable! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendi,

      I would love to learn to do noodles. Thank you for always encouraging me! WE can do this!

      Delete
  3. I am always amazed at how far a pound of ground beef or a few chicken breast can be stretched. I too have been working on the budget with my husband. Like you we will be creative. When things are this way it always helps to be on the same page. p.s. I found you via Annabel's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear visitor,

      It amazes me what will stretch! Thank you for popping by. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Please stop by anytime.

      Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I really loved all the tips you shared! I can't believe how you made that ground beef stretch. We pay $5.98 for 1 pound because we only buy the organic grass fed, so we only eat ground beef 1 time a week but I would love to get it stretch over just one more meal or two. I used to use black beans pureed with our tomato sauce for spaghetti instead of meat but I can't do tomatoes anymore but I'm thinking of maybe making it for my family and then putting garlic and butter on my noodles LOL! I really miss my tomato meals - I'm at a loss lately for what to make since I relied for years on using a lot of tomato-based meals but I'm slowly finding some new recipes we like without tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bev,

      I am sure that is hard. I rely a lot on tomato based meals. It was tricky to spread the meat but it worked. We didn't starve. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a very productive week. Good for you! I wrote about my thrifty week today, too.
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Laura,
      Your posts and comments always encourage me. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Chrissy, my husband hurt his back not long after we were married and wasn't able to work from then on so we have always lived very frugally. It is amazing how creative you can become when you have a limited income. I guess you know that you can make your own pasta. It is a big messy but fun. Cottage cheese and Ricotta cheese is really easy to make and much cheaper than the bought stuff. You will be surprised what ideas you come up with I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanna Chel,

      I would love to make my own noodles. I didn't know about the cheeses. Any tips?

      Delete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.