Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Homemade Dry Erase Board & Letter Writing

Hello everyone. A while back I needed a Dry Erase Board for our Homeschool. I usually put our date, scripture, and events on the board. I sometimes use it for messages and reminders. The only thing was I didn't want a big old dry erase board in my kitchen.  I took a picture frame from WalMart and took the back off. Leaving only the frame and glass. It was $10. I then took Burlap and a good old hot glue gun and made a Burlap border around the frame to cover it. I love Burlap and it fits my Country Cottage kitchen style so it looks great. My kids like to write on it sometimes. As you can tell my Hannah wrote a sweet message. "God will heal my mom!" As you all know I have been sick but I am getting better. Praise the Lord.
 
 



I was blessed with a surprise today. I had a sweet Sister in our new church mail me a card of encouragement. I don't know her super well but I thought it was so thoughtful. I love it. I love a good old handwritten letter and card. So many people rely on social media or texting. The age of writing a letter, card, or even picking up the phone is rare these days. The card is so lovely. It is nice to know someone is thinking about me and praying for me.


I would love to have a pen pal. When I was growing up I had a few. One from Japan. Then when I was in my early 20's a friend of mine and I  wrote each other when I moved off. It was sweet. She would use old traditional notebook paper. I loved it. Maybe one day I can find me a pen pal again. *Smiles*

There is something about a handwritten letter or a card. I love them. It adds a smile to your day. I use to send people in the church little cards of encouragement without putting my name on it. I used to have a little drawer filled with cards and during my quiet time I always prayed if there was someone I could write to. I need to do this again.

Do you write letters? Do you have a pen pal or a special person you write? Do you send special cards?

I hope you all have a lovely day!!!

Chrissy T

17 comments:

  1. When I was recovering from my heart surgery an older lady at church sent me several cards. First a get well card and then a couple of cards to encourage me. It was sweet, made me feel loved and I am so thankful for her thoughtfulness!

    I love the idea of sending cards anonymously! How fun it would be for the ladies to wonder and try to guess who is sending out encouragement. I know exactly who I am going to send a card to today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendi,

      It is so neat to do it. I had a young mom a few years ago I would send cards to anonymously. One day we went to the park with our children. She would share how she got a card and it was what she needed and she was so thankful to whoever sent it. I didn't let her know it was me. It was funny because she was guessing all kinds of people but never asked if I did. I just smiled.

      Delete
  2. Your message board looks really cute. I am glad to hear you are getting better. I do write letters some and enjoying making cards to send out. I don't do it as often as I would like though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbi,

      I totally understand. I need to get back to it. When I received that card yesterday it woke me up.

      Delete
  3. I am card sender! However, not like I used to be...and, for sure, not like I want to be!! It's a prayer and desire of mine to grow in this area...

    Sadly - email and the such has taken precedence and I don't like it...not one bit. ;)

    Thank you for the gentle reminder - to keep the heart and pen flowing with encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bevy,

      That card sparked my heart again to write. :) Thanks for visiting friend.

      Delete
  4. When you receive a handwritten letter you know that thought, precision and personal care has gone into the event. It is not a light matter....it is a significant investment in time and thought by the sender into your life. The sender is worth getting to know far better. My mother has made it a life long ministry to write letter to those who need encouragement - not light and fluffy letters but letter of real solid encouragement with well thought out scripture and advise. These letters are not sweet or lovely but rather real life-savers for the receiver.....so they tell me. After all, the NT scriptures were essentially all letters too - where would we be without them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil,

      What great thought on this. Oh what truth.

      Delete
  5. Hello Chrissy.. I just happened across your blog through my stats and so glad I did.. I love written letters and although I do not do it often enough. it is truly one of life's little pleasures when you find one in the mailbox.. Such excitement.. smile.. God bless...xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your board is really cute and what a sweet message from your daughter!

    I like handwritten notes and letters too, I've been trying to get into that a lot more!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chrissy, I have two pen friends that have kept in contact since we were teenagers back in the 1960s. That is a long time ago. I hope you find a pen friend you can relate to. My daughter loves hand written letters and isn't unto social media etc. Unfortunately she is so busy with children and church activities that she never gets time to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how it is to be busy with small kids. Each of us has seasons. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Chrissy, I love write letters and receiving them. Today I still write occasionally to my sister in Washington State and one that lives a couple of hours away. How neat to pen pal with someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa,

      That is so special. It is so neat and such a treasure.

      Delete
  9. OOH I love your burlap board... you are so clever! And what a precious message your daughter left on there too! I've been healed many times by my children's prayers, and so I would look forward to that healing! :)

    Cards - oh my! I am a card person, have been since a very young girl. I too communicated with pen pals over the world, the Philippines and Thailand. Unfortunately I have lost touch with those girls because they moved and didn't leave a forwarding address. I love to send handmade cards. I was a SU demo for years, and have a stash of cards that is pretty incredible, except that I need to make some more birthday cards, as that is the selection I use up the most.

    Sending anonymous cards is always fun... however since most of my friends and family know I make my cards, I can't send one of those anonymously, lol.

    Enjoyed your post today. :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.