Friday, March 17, 2017

Book Review~A Stolen Heart


Cover Art




From afar, Cimarron Creek seems like an idyllic town tucked in the Texas Hill Country. But when former schoolteacher Lydia Crawford steps onto its dusty streets in 1880, she finds a town with a deep-seated resentment of Northerners--like her. Lydia won't let that get her down, though. All will be well when she's reunited with her fiancé.

But when she discovers he has disappeared--and that he left behind a pregnant wife--Lydia is at a loss about what to do next. The handsome sheriff urges her to trust him, but can she trust anyone in this town where secrets are as prevalent as bluebonnets in spring?

My Thoughts.....

When I signed up to read this book I was for sure this would be right up my alley. I wish I could say that it was. Although, I felt it was a sweet book it took a LONG time to get through. I had a very hard time from the VERY beginning getting connected to the characters and story. I am not really sure why. As it really seemed to have a good story line just for some reason I couldn't get into the first several chapters.

Lydia one of the main characters seemed lovely, strong, and full of good character. She was also very clever and resourceful. Travis seemed romantic from the beginning to me. I am not sure why but he did. My favorite character was Aunt Bertha. Although, I truly disliked the way it ended for her. I did enjoy reading the sweet relationships and friendships that developed. I felt at times I was right there in the kitchen with Aunt Bertha, Catherine (a friend & family member) and Lydia. I liked how Lydia showed good character in so many situations. Hiring Opal (which was her suppose to be fiancé new young pregnant wife) to help her as Edgar (husband to Opal and suppose to be fiancé to Lydia) was missing. At first you dislike Edgar because you felt he did Lydia wrong by marrying someone else and etc. but that changed for me towards the end. You will have to read to know why. *smiles*

Amanda Cabot the author did a good job with twisting it all at the end. But to me the MEAT of this book was in the last few chapters and to be honest the book could have left out a ton of chapters and it would have been great. It dragged out too long and I lost interest very quickly. I did read most of the book but skipped a few pages here and there because I was losing interest.  If I were not reviewing it and wanted to give it a very fair review I would have put it down and probably passed it on.

I give this book a 3 in half out 5. There was mystery, romance, twists, and surprises but it was just all at the end which was kept it hard for me to be interested to stick to it.

About the Author.......

Amanda Cabot is the bestselling author of At Bluebonnet Lake, In Firefly Valley, and On Lone Star Trail, as well as the Texas Dreams series, the Westward Winds series, and Christmas Roses. Her books have been finalists for the ACFW Carol Awards and the Booksellers' Best. She lives in Wyoming. Learn more at www.amandacabot.com.

I was given a free copy by Revell Publishers and no compensation was received. My thoughts are solely my own.


Chrissy


 

3 comments:

  1. I find that if I can't connect with the character then I rarely finish the story (or movie). Isn't it odd how we are drawn to certain ones and others not so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review, dear Chrissy, and I must confess that I sighed in relief when I read your thoughts and realized I wasn't alone in thinking the book was just too long. Thanks for your sweet honesty!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review A Stolen Heart. I appreciate your comments. Constructive criticism is always welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.