Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Love to Hear From YOU!

Hi friends!!!  I love reading! Love it. I go in waves and read a lot then I slow down and mull on one for a bit.  I like to read all kinds of books. Classics, Mystery, Christian growth, Amish type, love stories (as long as wholesome), and biography's as well.



What about you?

What is your ALL TIME favorite read??? If you had one book you would recommend what would you suggest? I know we all would say the Bible and that is the BEST book. Outside of the Bible what would you suggest?

It could be a book from when you were a child, teen, young adult.  I also read aloud to my children. I am currently reading Little House in the Big Woods. Did or Do you read aloud to your kids?  If you did or do what books would you say was a favorite for your children and you to read together???


As a teen I would spend hours in summer curled up reading Sweet Valley High and the Babysitters Club. I loved those books. I loved Anne of Green Gables and it was my favorite as a younger lady.

As an adult this is hard because I have read so many books. I have to say though Wuthering Heights is on my top favorites. There was this AMAZING book I read years ago and it is so embarrassing but I cannot for the life of me remember the title or author. It saddens. I loved it so much. I wish I would have recorded my books years ago the way I do now.


Outside of fiction my favorite books are A Woman's After God's Own Heart and Stepping Heavenward. I also like most of Sharon Whites books.

Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts was an excellent read!!!!

What about you??? Please share.

12 comments:

  1. I was the biggest babysitters club fan ever! I think they should do a movie of them in their 40's. Rosie O'Donnel as Kristi. As for now, there's this book called "From the Palate to the Spirit" by Calliopi Toufidou. The book is not just a cookbook, it talks about celebrations, fashion, traditions, etc from the island of Zakinthos where both of my mom's parents were from. My grandmother died when I was 14, and having this book means a lot because it answers questions I didn't get to ask her.

    My 9 year old and I also are writing books. Mine is called The Child Advocate. Hers doesn't have a title, but it's all about dragons. She has also written one about cats. She is making so much more progress than I am!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book sounds great. Thanks for sharing. I love that you are encouraging your child to write. Stories form us!

      Delete
  2. I read a ton of inspirational fiction. My favorite non-fiction book has been Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother by Carolyn Mahaney.

    My all time favorite fiction series is Red River of the North by Lauraine Snelling. It starts with an Untamed Land and spins off into several other series with a total of 21 books. It's the only series of books that I keep.

    As far as family read alouds we started with the Little House books and are now working our way through The Rose Years. It follows Laura moving to Missouri and tells about building their life and Rose growing up.

    I'll have to come back and read the comments later as I am always on the look out for material for read alouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendi,

      The book by Mahaney sounds right up my alley. I would love to check out that series you mentioned.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. My sister and I read through all of Betty Smith's books when we were kids and we still read them over and over. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Tomorrow Will be Better, Maggie Now. They are all set at the turn of the 20th century and they are so, so good. Also the Cheaper by the Dozen by Ernestine Gilbreth (and the sequel, Bells on Their Toes). The Egg and I, Onions in the Stew, and The Plague and I by Betty MacDonald. Karen and With Love From Karen by Marie Killilea. I could go on forever. All of these are old books, but the storytelling is amazing. You would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chrissy, oh dear that is a hard question! I can't name a favorite but I can name a few. Anything CS Lewis or JRR Tolkien, all things Anne of Green Gables or Laura Ingalls Wilder or Beatrix Potter. I also really enjoyed reading all the historical fictional books by Bodie Thoene. And then there is Janette Oke books! (see I told you there are too many!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too many!! I forgot about Beatrix Potter. We did a lot of them when the kids were younger.

      Delete
  5. I like all the Mitford books by Jan Karon. I also enjoy Fannie Flagg. Her books "Welcome to the World, Baby Girl" and "A Red Bird Christmas" are 2 of my all time favorites. Karon books are purely G rated. Flags books might be PG or barely PG13 as there will be a few cuss words but they are few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... I like the Mitford Books too!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Chrissy,

      I think this is my first comment on your sweet blog! Thank you for sharing your heart and I absolutely adore this space.
      Oh my....I love reading, too. Books are like old friends.....they bring such pleasure and happiness to our souls.
      In our homeschool....The Little House series has been our favorite. My 14 year old son and I still reread these every year. LOVE them all.
      Here are a few of my favorites:
      Betsy-Tacy series ....Maud Hart Lovelace
      Pollyanna
      The Secret Garden
      Own Your Own.....Sally Clarkson (anything by her)
      A Woman After God's Own Heart.....(she is like a Titus 2 woman for me:)
      I like the author Stormie Omartian
      The Miss Read books
      Ann Voskamp books
      Oh my.....too many to list
      Have a blessed day

      Delete
    3. You like very similar authors as me. As I read your list I was like..oh yes....I forgot that!

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.