Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Unhurried


Every summer I choose a book to read on Homeschooling to encourage, refresh, and freshen my vision for the upcoming school year. Homeschooling is not for the weak or faint hearted. There are days that are rewarding and some that are hard...down right hard.

Questions run through my mind like, "Am I doing enough?" or "Will they ever learn this?" We can get caught up in the pressure of "state standards" or other peoples "opinions". I have often battled these things. But I always go back to our mission and the reason we homeschool. I take a deep breath and move on.

I also notice many homeschool moms running around all the time from  activity, sport, and program. Making sure their kids get ALL they think they need. I have done this before. I quickly realize it is not healthy for myself or my kids. I think activities are good and have there place but they should never take the place of home life, family time, and church.

I wanted to share a quote from the book I have been reading..."As parents, we need to be discerning in whose opinions we value. Homeschooling can be challenging enough. It's important to guard our hearts (Proverbs 4:23) and remember that our children have been given to us. With the exception of their creator, no once knows them better than we do." Durenda Wilson from the Book The Unhurried Homeschooler

May we embrace our days with our children, grandchildren, and those we love. Not getting caught up with what others say we have to do or teach our children. Follow God and your own instincts for your children/child.

Blessings,
Chrissy






17 comments:

  1. Be daring and try unschooling or eclectic homeschooling. That's what I'd do if we didn't need the free babysitting that is public school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a very eclectic homeschool mom. I have dabbled a little in relaxes schooling but not to type a for unschooling. Lol.

      Delete
  2. Amen.
    Chrissy, it took me years to get to that point...
    The point I finally realized I didn't need to please anyone except myself and my family.
    We are all about home and family here.
    We tried the activity thing once.
    The constant running and picking up and hurrying?
    Not for us!
    Thanks for sharing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Chrissy! There is so much judgement and pressure. I hear I'm crazy, you can't possibly give her what she needs etc from those who don't agree with homeschooling. The flip side is I hear really, you don't do this or that from those who do homeschool. You have to do what works best for you and your children. We made the decision to do no outside activities. For a variety of reason. It works for us and that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not get me started on "homeschooling know it all's"! Lol.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. You are welcome. We are in this together.

      Delete
  5. Amen, we love being at home and it is all about us as a family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your post, Chrissy. I agree 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how people cope with all the running around and activity after activity. I don't feel it's necessary either. Enjoy your year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise words. Even though I'm not ready, I'm going to start my teens on math and a couple subjects this week. Cancer's kind of distracted me this summer. ~grin~
    Be blessed!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  9. When we were homeschooling, I had to limit outside activities because it became overwhelming for me (with such limited energy that I had) and I found that too many activities were also too much for my boys. They did not know how to limit themselves, so I had to do it for them. ;) I did not want them burning out.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! Love your friendly comments.